Income Tax

Changes to CPP Canada Pention Plan

Canada Pension Plan changes for individuals aged 60 to 70 — January 2012

Did you know…?

Significant changes to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) will occur in January 2012 to reflect the way Canadians are living, working, and retiring. The changes will affect both employees and self-employed workers aged 60 to 70. The changes will not affect you if you are already receiving a CPP or Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) retirement pension and you remain out of the workforce. Employees working in Quebec and other workers not subject to the CPP will also not be affected by these changes.

What’s new?

Contribution changes (what you will pay):

All workers aged 60 to 65 will be required to make CPP contributions—even if they are receiving a CPP or QPP retirement pension.
Workers who are 65 to 70 years of age and who are receiving a CPP or QPP retirement pension will be required to contribute unless they have elected to stop their CPP contributions. To elect to stop contributing to the CPP, workers will have to be at least 65 years of age and do the following:

Be the first to comment - What do you think?

Consider the Following Tax Tips

End of The Year Tax Considerations

by Mark Randall
As we roll into the final quarter of 2010, there are a few things you should know as we near the end of the year. Bear in mind that filing your taxes is coming up shortly. Don’t wait to get all the necessary paperwork lined up. Instead, take time to consider what you will need in order to file your 2010 taxes. Here are some basic things you may have forgotten:

For starters, remember that you should get in all of your charitable donations. Several charities will be asking for your help, especially around the holidays. So keep in mind that you will want to walk away with the necessary paperwork once you donate. If you have household goods to donate, make sure you get a receipt. You will want a letter from the charity stating the amount of money you have given them this year. Also know how much you can legally deduct. Talk to your tax adviser to determine this number. It will all depend on previous donations and whether you are filing with your spouse or as an independent filer. Donations from a business will also differ so determine these things before you run into tax problems later.

If you are a student yourself or have a dependent in school, make sure you get student loans nailed down. Know exactly what has been borrowed in anticipation of this statement. You may be qualified to receive interest deductions from federal student loans.

If you have moved for a job, make sure that you have all of the necessary paperwork and receipts in order. Even if you do not itemize, you can deduct the cost of moving to a new job, given that you moved more than 50 miles.

Deductions for home improvements may be deducted. As part of new green initiatives enacted by Congress, certain improvements to make your home more energy efficient can be deducted from your taxes. So if you are considering adding new solar energy mechanisms or adding more energy efficient windows to your property, try doing them before the end of the year.

About the Author:

Be the first to comment - What do you think?

« Previous PageNext Page »